Dental implants are an effective treatment for patients who are missing one or more teeth. A dental implant is a synthetic tooth root, usually made of titanium, that is placed into your jaw to hold a replacement tooth or bridge. They are permanent and look and feel just like natural teeth. At
Frank N. Johnson, D.D.S., P.A., we can restore dental implants with high-quality restoration.
What Does Dental Implant Procedure Involve?
Dental implants are replacements for missing teeth that are made from titanium and have a screw-like shape. They are designed to fuse with bone tissue in a process called osseointegration, which makes them an extremely stable option for tooth replacement. With their stability, they are an ideal solution for replacing a single missing tooth or several missing teeth in a row.
When you visit the dentist to get your dental implant, you will be given local anesthesia to numb the area where the surgery is being performed. Your dentist will then drill into the jawbone and place the implant post in the socket of your missing tooth. They will make any necessary adjustments to ensure the post fits correctly and does not cause any pain or discomfort. With the implant placed successfully, you will then undergo the healing process. During healing, your dentist will monitor the bone to ensure that it fuses with the titanium post properly. This can take anywhere from three to six months. Once your bone has fused to the implant post, you will return to the dentist to have your abutment attached. After that, you can visit Frank N. Johnson, D.D.S., P.A., to get your implant restored with a natural-looking crown.
What Are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
- Dental implants are permanently anchored into the jaw, unlike removable dentures that can slip and slide out of place when eating or speaking.
- Because implants stay firmly in place, patients don’t have to worry about embarrassing moments with their teeth.
- Implants do not need additional teeth to be reshaped during the surgery. The entire structure of the mouth can be preserved with a dental implant.
- They are very predictable when it comes to placement. Most dental implants have a high success rate and last for years. The lifespan of an implant varies based on the health of the jaw bone and surrounding teeth.
- Patients should brush and floss daily to maintain healthy gums around their dental implant. Also, regular visits to the dentist are necessary to monitor gum health and ensure there is no sign of infection.
- Dental implants also enable patients to eat the foods they love without restrictions.
If you’ve recently had a dental implant placed, allow our team at Frank N. Johnson, D.D.S., P.A., to take care of the restoration process for you! Give us a call at (785) 357-7706 to schedule your next visit at 1244 SW Oakley Ave, Topeka, KS 66604. We can’t wait to see you soon!